community

Monday, August 13, 2018

One of my absolute favorite things about college was living in the same area as literally almost all of my friends. If you wanted to hangout with someone all you had to do was walk to their room or their apartment. No fuss, no 'oh well i need to take off work to make the trip'. Everyone was just.. there!

My last semester of college I had a morning class with one of my favorite friends Julia. On Mondays we didn't have chapel (I went to a Christian University for those who didn't know!) and that hour very quickly became mine and Julias hang out time. We would either go get coffee and food somewhere, or we would just sit in my apartment and sip coffee and catch up on homework. I looked forward to this time because I knew that after that semester I wouldn't get those moments with her anymore. 


As I've gotten older I have found a new appreciation and understanding for community. I used to be snobby about it and think that it was just another name for a close knit, clique-like, group of people. But it's not that at all. When I left college, for longer than I expected, I felt like I had lost my community. Not that I don't have friends here at home, but I was losing that easy access to everyone, almost always. Coming home and getting together with friends can often be a battle between work schedules, and usually you each have opposite free days, and life just makes hanging out with friends hard! But if I've learned one thing since college... it's that community is SO important.

Find that group of people that share your interests, that enjoy talking about life, that are interested and willing to connect with you even if you have never met. I have two amazing friends here at home who I grew up with. A couple months ago we started getting together every Tuesday to workout together. (we call it Toning Tuesday, haha!). And that is something that I so look forward to because that's part of my community. I am so blessed to have friends who enjoy working out with me even if we all look silly and are doing the exercises wrong half the time. We have a good time, and it's a chance for us to connect, catch up, check in with each other. Having a community doesn't need to be something where you are meeting with people everyday. It can look like that for some people, but not everyone, and that is OK! Life is busy for everyone. But what matters is that we make time to spend time with people we can grow with. 

That being said, it can be hard to find a community! If you don't have one, do not feel bad, because we all have been there, or are still there today! I encourage you to look into finding something that works for you. Whether it's a new moms group, a bible study, a photography or blogging group, a creatives groups, or just a few gal pals getting together for coffee every week! There's something out there for everyone, don't be discouraged. And don't feel weird about reaching out and starting your own community! 

As much as I miss Monday morning coffee dates with Julia in my kitchen, We still FaceTime regularly. Don't let distance get in the way! Find your community and make it work however you are able to. 

Do you have a community? If so, tell me about it!!

6 comments :

  1. Toning tuesdays is awesome! haha

    And community is so important. I did a bible study (i think it was "We Saved You A Seat") that basically said that if you are wanting community, go and try to fill the need for people around you who need community. Be it that girl sitting alone at church or at starbucks. Eventually, you will find yourself surrounded by community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, this post really resonated with me! I love being apart of this blogging community, it's really helped me open up my eyes, make new friends, and really find bloggers I truly love! Thank you so much for writing about this...this is so important! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post. The importance of community I think is sometimes overlooked today, especially with the younger generations. It's a great reminder of how valuable and important community is in everyone's life. I personally am part of many communities, as a blogger, as a fire wife, and as a dietitian. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely important to find a good community. I joined community theater and have made a great group of friends that way. My husband has regular board game nights with his friends. Having something constant in our busy lives is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been blogging for two years and have only just began to start feeling part of a community. Don't get me wrong, all the bloggers I've come into contact with have been lovely, but recently I've found a few select bloggers whose content I ADORE, and it seems that the feeling is mutual, and it has been wonderful getting so much support from people I admire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh yeah I feel like I don't have this as much since moving to the big city! Some of the girls I work with and I get together and do at least one monthly happy hour. My friends and I from college used to host a weekly dinner for each other every Tuesday, which was always a good time. I miss those days!

    ReplyDelete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs